Wednesday 12 June 2013

4. Building Bridges

The silence partnered with his shocked gaze was beginning to make her feel uneasy.

"Aubrey, stop it." Avoiding eye contact she shyly pulled her towel back around herself and looked down at her feet. His mind was unreadable to her at that point which made her feel even more self-conscious. She had no idea what he was thinking.

"Nicki, why didn't you tell me?" He edged closer to her and pulled the towel away gently. Needless to say she covered herself with her hands the moment she became visible to him again.

"And say what?" Her voice quivered as she spoke.

"That you were hurtin'. You were hungry."

"You already had too much on your mind, I didn't wanna lay another problem on you."

"I would have dropped everythin' to help you, Nic." He removed her hands from shielding her body and studied her frail figure. This definitely wasn't the body of a healthy pregnant female and they both knew it. "Next time somethin' like this is goin' on I want you to promise me that you'll tell me straight away, okay?"

She nodded tearfully. "I promise." She felt him embrace her securely, the first time in months that their bodies had been in contact. His skin against hers. As soon as he felt her exhale against his chest her kissed her head and pulled away to do the same to her lips.

"I'll help you into the tub and then I'mma go see if they have anythin' to put on these." He gently grazed his fingers over the sores on her hips and elbows. "They're not even healin', how long've they been there?"

She shrugged. "Since we been sleepin' on the floor, I guess."

The guilt he felt was immense as he looked over her dishevelled body. Ever since he found out she was pregnant he was too afraid to leave her home alone with all the raids going on. Eventually he quit his job and selling their belongings was how they managed to keep money in order to pay rent. The last piece of furniture they had was the bed and after selling that they had no choice but to sleep on a blanket. It felt uncomfortable even for him to lay on, so he could only imagine how much it hurt for her. In the end he refused to lay on it and folded it over to double the cushioning for her. She protested greatly but he wouldn't take no for an answer. Strictly speaking, he didn't even need to lay on it. He didn't sleep.

He kept to his word and aided her into the tub before heading downstairs once he was re-clothed. The moment his feet hit the steps he could hear another voice in the kitchen. Two others in fact.

"Oh, there you are." He smiled and set the young boy in his arms down. "I was just coming down to ask y'all what you wanted for dinner tonight, it'd be nice if you joined us. Kristin came home early, picked Jackson up on the way."

"Oh, thank you." He inched into the kitchen some more. "Whatever's on the menu for you guys will suit us just fine."

"Great, then I can make a start." He rubbed his hands together eagerly before looking down at the boy. "Ain't you gonna say hello?" They all guessed the answer to that when he shyly hid behind his Father's legs after Drake smiled at him. "Now he's pretendin' to be all shy." He shook his head and laughed. "Anyhow, was there somethin' you needed?"

"Yeah, you got any anti-septic fluid or wipes or somethin'?" He wrinkled his face up hopefully and buried his hands in his pockets. At the mentioning of something medicine-related, Kristin brought her head up from sewing a pair of tiny pants.

"Anti-septic? What do yo need that for?"

"Just a few cuts, it's nothin' really." He tried to downplay the situation.

"Is it for you?" Kristin asked as she stood.

"Actually, no. It's for Nicki." 

Harlan switched his gaze between his wife and Drake before deciding to make a suggestion. "Is it serious? You know, Kristin's a nurse. If you want her to take a look I'm sure she won't mind."

The moment those words left his lips she gave him the dirtiest look he'd ever seen, immediately making him feel like a hassle.

"No, really it's fine. I'ont think Nic would wanna cause a fuss anyway."

Kristin huffed angrily at her husband before opening the kitchen cabinet filled with medicine and a first aid kit. "No, I'll do it."

"Well, I don't wanna impose and obviously it's gon' be a huge issue for you so the anti-septic will be fine. Thank you." His cold words washed over her, making her feel small.

"I'm sorry." She shook her head. "I honestly don't mind, it's just been a long day is all." Her sincere words didn't go unnoticed as he just stared for a while before smiling back at her gratefully.



She followed him up the stairs and to the bathroom before he stopped her at the door.

"I'll just make sure she's okay with this first."

"And what if she's not?"

"I'll make sure she is."

He disappeared into the bathroom and was met with her attempting to climb of the tub before he rushed over to help her.

"Whattya doin'? I said wait 'til I get back."

"I know but sittin' like that was hurtin' my back." She secured the towel around her dripping body. "Did you get the anti-septic stuff?"

"Yeah, but Kristin's a nurse and she said she'd take a look at you. Check you over and stuff."

"No, I'ont wanna be any trouble."

"Nicki. Think about our baby." He placed his hand on her bump. "You don't wanna make sure he's okay?"

"He's fine."

"Just 'cause you can hear his heartbeat don't mean he's okay, Nic."

There was silence as she stared up at him before moving her gaze down to her bump. She knew he was right. "Okay, but help me put my underwear on first."

He complied with her wishes and let her sit on the lid of the toilet before letting Kristin in. She wasn't fully prepared for what her eyes with greeted with. She felt her mouth instantly gape as she clutched at the first aid kit.

"I'ont really know for sure but I think they're from layin' on the hard floor." He moved over to stand by Nicki's side as Kristin crouched down, still looking over the painful looking wounds.

"I'd say that's what they'd be from." Moving her focus from Drake to Nicki she tried to make eye contact but Nicki held her gaze anywhere away from Kristin's view. She looked scared and ashamed.

"Usually they'd heal pretty fast but they're not shiftin'." 

"Yeah, they don't look too great do they?" She cooed sympathetically before setting the kit down and opening it. "Do you mind?"

Nicki simply shook her head no and looked up at Drake nervously. He'd completely forgotten that she could read Kristin's thoughts.

"Aubrey, she thinks something's wrong."

"What?"

"Kristin."

Completely unaware of their undetectable conversation, Kristin proceeded to dab at the weeping wounds as gently as she could. Nicki still kept flinching away every few seconds, indicating just how painful they really were. Her whole opinion of these two strangers was changing at a rapid pace.

"So aside from the obvious, is everythin' okay with her?"

"Yeah, she's goin' to be alright. For a start, having a nice bed to sleep in will do her the world of good."

"She's lying."

He shook his head at her fretful mind, catching Kristin's attention. "I'm sorry, did you say somethin'?"

"No, but I do know that there's somethin' wrong and you ain't tellin' us."

She didn't speak and only carried on wiping at the tender skin on Nicki's hip bone before moving to her elbows. "Look, I might be speakin' out of turn here, but Nicki's very underweight for a pregnant woman. I mean, it's not very healthy for the mother or baby, especially the further along you get." She finished up cleaning the wounds and stood. "How far along are you?" She was looking at Nicki but Drake's voice answered her question.

"We don't really know, we think maybe around five months." He shrugged and handed Nicki a towel before watching her quickly bury herself in it. 

"See, I don't know nearly enough about Vampires or Vampire anatomy but I do know that she needs to get stronger before her due date arrives. She'll need all the strength she can get." Folding her lips she stepped back and crossed her arms. "Was that all you wanted me to look at?" Once again Nicki remained silent as Drake jumped in to answer the question.

"Yeah, I think that's it." He looked back at Nicki. "You got any on your back or anywhere else?"

She nodded her head yes and tightened the towel around herself. "But I'ont want her to do it though."

Acknowledging her mental request he looked back at Kristin's intrugued face. She'd been watching them the whole time. There's was something strangely fascinating about the way they interacted.

"I can handle the rest, we'll let'chu get back to what you were doin'." He smiled and rubbed Nicki's back. "Thanks for checking her over."

"It's no problem, I'll leave you both to it." She spoke suspiciously before setting the kit down and heading out of the bathroom. She wanted to be safe and check her elsewhere but didn't want to overstep the mark and seem pushy. Surely if they wanted help they'd ask for it. Feeling confident in her thoughts she made her way back downstairs to help Harlan with dinner.



The day had gone by quick and after showering and bathing, Nicki and Drake were back in the basement. He knew there was something on her mind, but it was clouded. He couldn't tell what she was thinking.

"Y'know, Harlan asked us to go eat upstairs with them tonight? You feelin' up to it?"

"I guess. As long as they don't mind."

"Good. And I'm sure they won't." He kissed the back of her head. She was sat in between his legs on the bed, still wrapped in only her towel. "You want me to put this cream on now?"

"Yeah, I wanna get dressed." She answered him whilst shrugging out of the towel. He knew why she didn't want Kristin touching her back but he always tried his best not to draw attention to it. The silvery lines still marked her skin. Etched in permanently as horrific reminders. The only thing he was glad of was the fact that they were on her back, the part of her body she had difficulty viewing. Otherwise he feared she'd always be reminded of those memories.

"Are they really sore?"

"Well, my back ain't too bad 'cause I don't lay on it much but it still hurts."

He frowned sympathetically as he rubbed the cream into her skin cautiously, making sure it covered every wound. "They'll be gone in no time." Screwing the lid back on he tossed the tube to the side and wrapped his arms around her, resting his hands gently on her bump. "We're gon' be okay, Nic."

"I hope you're right." Laying her head back she lay her hands over his, encouraging them to continue massaging her abdomen the way he was. It was strangely comforting to her.


***

"I'm just sayin' they're a little odd is all." Kristin spoke in a hushed whisper as she chopped the carrots. She'd just been explaining to her husband the weird behaviour she witnessed in the bathroom.

"Well, they prolly think we're pretty strange too. They might know as much about humans as we do about Vampires." He laughed as he sat Jackson at the table.

"Yeah, but she hardly even spoke." Pausing momentarily she frowned harshly. "Actually, she didn't even speak at all. Not one word."

"So she's a lil' shy. Do you blame her?"

"Do you think she's a mute?" Her question was serious but it still managed to make her husband laugh. "I don't find anythin' funny, Dave."

"I heard her talk last night. She's definitely not a mute." He made his way over to where she was preparing food and wrapped his arms around her waist from behind. "Stop worryin' about it. They'll settle in soon."

"You didn't see how bad it was though." She sighed. "I mean, I wouldn't be surprised if the foetus was still."

He pulled away from her slowly. "Wow, it was really that bad?"

"Well, she's definitely not in the best condition but I don't know, it could be different for them."

"How'd they take it when you told'm that?" He took a seat next to his son, once again managing to escape the responsibility of making dinner without her noticing.

"Oh God, are you insane? I didn't tell them about the baby." She shook her head. "I explained about her health though. If she doesn't improve before her due date I honestly don't think she stands a chance survivin' labor."

"You can help her though, right?"

"I can try but I just get this weird vibe from her, y'know? I don't think she likes me too much."

"And you wonder why?" He raised his brow as he stared at her back. "You were pretty stand-offish last night."

"I know." She exhaled miserably. "I didn't mean to seem so horrible, it's just the fact that you know how I feel about Vampires yet you still brought them back here."

"I'm sorry. I owed him big time and I wasn't about to turn them away, they had nowhere else to go."

"Yeah I figured. He said they'd been sleepin' on the floor." She moved the chopping board aside and began washing her hands. "That's what all her sores are from. They look like pressure wounds." Not hearing a reply from him she turned to face him only to be met with his smug smirk. "What?"

"You're startin' to like them aren't you?"

"No, Dave. My feelin's towards them are exactly the same as before. They're cold, merciless killers."

"So why'd you go outta your way to find that book for Nicki last night?" She didn't answer. "And just now, you've spent all this time talkin' about them and you was upstairs helpin' them."

"Alright." She silenced him. "Alright, so maybe I'm warmin' to them, it doesn't mean I'm a lover of Vampires now. I just...I feel bad for them, okay?"

"So now you know how I felt."

She rolled her eyes and sighed. "Yes, now I know how you felt." Turning around to face him she smiled little. "I'm sorry I was actin' so harshly towards you. Do you forgive me?"

"Oh, I don't know. I'll have to think about it." He tried to remain serious but the moment she threw a carrot at him he started laughing. "Yes, yes I forgive you! Stop wastin' my food dammit."

"I hope we're not interruptin' anythin'?" Drake smiled as the walked through the door frame. A little family banter was something they were both in desperate need of right now.

"No of course not, we're just preparin' dinner." He smiled and stood up.

"Oh, word? We're just preparin' dinner? I'ont see you doin' anythin'." She shook her head and smiled at Nicki, only receiving a small shy one in return but it was a start. She knew she had to build bridges with her, especially if they were staying for a while.

"Sorry, Kristin's preparin' dinner." He corrected himself and suddenly remembered. "Oh, before I forget, I found that old map you was askin' about a while ago. It's out in the garage, you wanna come take a look?"

"Sure, that'd be great." He let go of Nicki's hand and looked at her warmly. "You'll be okay, I'll be two minutes. Go talk to Kristin, you guys might even get along. You never know." 

She didn't even get chance to sy anything back before he left the room after Harlan. The kitchen was thrown into an uncomfortable silence. Only the bubbling pans were disturbing the quietness.

"Oh, I should probably introduce you." She set the tea towel down and moved over to the table. "Nicki, this is our son, Jackson. You gon' say hello?" Looking down at him she laughed when he just smiled. "He's not normally this shy, you'll soon find that out for yourself though."

Once again the silence consumed the room. Obviously not for Nicki though. She could hear every thought running through Kristin's mind. It made her feel bad in the end. She was trying so hard to think of something to say so Nicki made it a little easier for her.

"This is a really nice place you have."

"Oh." She blinked, half shocked she'd even spoken to her. "Thank you, we've had it for a while now. Only place Jackson has ever called home actually." Suddenly noticing she was still standing she pulled a chair out. "Please, sit down. I'm about to serve dinner."

"Thank you." Taking a seat next to Jackson, she couldn't help but smile at his cheeky face. He was really cute.

"I hope y'all like steak. It's Dave's favorite so you're bound to be eatin' it an awful lot whilst you're stayin' with us." Like before, there was only silence. "Look, before we go any further I just wanna say sorry for the way I behaved yesterday. I never meant to make you feel this uncomfortable and had I known how rough things have been for you both I would taken that into consideration."

"It's okay, I understand." She smiled up at her.

"Oh my God. She hates me." She let her mind fill up with uncertain negative thoughts as Nicki responded without thinking.

"I don't hate you."

"Excuse me?" She turned around quickly. "Did you just..." There was a long pause. "Can you hear what I'm thinking?" Her face was written with pure amazement.

"I'm sorry." She shifted nervously. "I can't help it or ignore it and I honestly don't mean to. I hope you don't think I'm invading your privacy or anything?"

"No...I'm just..." She stopped again and moved to sit down quickly. "I'm just fascinated. So, you can really tell what I'm thinking right now?"

"Every thought."

"Tell me." She smiled after seeing Nicki smile for the first time. Her dimples were adorable.

"You want Harlan to bring up a spare chair from the garage."

"Oh my God. You're good." Her eyes widened dramatically. "See, I never knew that about you guys." She stalled momentarily. "In fact, I know next to nothing about Vampires. My opinion is based on memories and experiences."

"Maybe we were brought here for a reason?" She shrugged sweetly. "But technically speaking, not all of us can do that."

"So, Drake? He can't read minds?"

"No he can. Just other Vampires."

"Does he have some special gift too?" Her innocently naive question made Nicki smile.

"I guess he has pretty good hearing, but then again, anyone with ears that size would."

"You better not be talkin' 'bout my ears." He laughed as he re-entered the room. Seeing her smile was easing his troubled mind beyond words could even describe. Sitting down next to her, he grabbed her hand under the table and squeezed it gently.

"Of course not. We have better things to be discussing than the size of your anatomical parts."

"Word?"

"Oh my God. Aubrey please, shut up." She shook her head discreetly whilst trying not to laugh. Things were finally starting to look up.


Or so she thought.


...

* Hope this was alright, I think it might be like Tinker Life and only be a short fic. Maybe two or three more chapters but I hope it was okay for whoever reads this :) Like I said before, I've never really written something as fictional as this :/ but I was just trying something new. ALSO there is more drama coming as the cliffhanger ending to this would indicate lol but there will be a flashback explaining the scars on her back too.*



12 comments:

  1. *twerks my way to Australia* BRUH BRUH BRUH. THAT WASS *cries* amazing, like do you understand I'm happy they getting along. Please don't kill my vibe here ^_^ I loved it, like ughhhh amazing it was cute. Loved it loved it loved loved it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. OMG. OK @ me being close to tears as Kristin cleaned her wounds. :( like... she's such a trooper. She kept that and her pain a secret just as to not stress Drake out. Ugh. And she's so skinnyyyyyy, OMG. When Drake asked why she didn't tell him that she was hungry... My heart. Like, can u imagine? OMG. Ooop. Now Kristin knows she can read her thoughts. :x She's so fascinated by it, awwww. She's cute. Ugh. Glad they're working on a relationship now. :') & lol @ her shading Drake's ears.

    That "or so she thought" just... I can't even. I won't even. Gerl.... Ugh. Bye.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love this story! You are very descriptive and every time I read any of your stories it seems as if I'm watching a movie instead of reading. Poor Nicki I hope everything is alright with her and the baby. If she's extremely weak from hunger will human food be enough or does she have to consume blood to help her heal quicker?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I would seriously buy this if it was published.... thats how much I LOVE your work! Your ideas (no matter how fictional) are different from the normal.. [#NoShade].

    Looking forward to the update (do it NOWS! I caaan't wait much longer) and other stories!

    ReplyDelete
  5. YAAAAY! Everyone's getting along! ^.^ i really hope things stay this way!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. why would you just drop off like that Charlee and throw in all that for shadowing? Like no one likes a tease y'know -_-
    that was amazing beautiful, I love this story so much :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm so happy Nicki and...I forgot her name :/ are getting along lol an I'm glad Nic is starting to warm up with them. I hope Nic's scars get better soon :(( and GERL @ the "Or so she thought" -____- just when I thought things were getting better you hit us with that and end the chapter lmaooo LOVED it as usual! Post soon!! Xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh wow, poor Nicki. I really hope her wounds heal soon & she's able to put some weight on. & See.. Kristin's warming up, that's good! LOL @ Harlon being slick at not helping her cook & Drake with his thoughts. I really hop things work out but after that last sentence..idk ._. Great chapter (:

    ReplyDelete
  9. OMG I luved this you are such an amazing writer and I really really want to know how she got those scars on her back PLZ update soon I need the next chapter like ASAP

    ReplyDelete
  10. I like this hopefully Nicki's cuts will heal and she can be able to have her baby soon and they can find somewhere else to live out of there. That good Kristen is trying to get nicki to like her lol

    ReplyDelete
  11. PLZ post soon love this

    ReplyDelete