Monday 3 June 2013

3. Safe

*Thanks for the comments, I hope this is okay :) It drags on a bit, so I'll apologise now lol*

Nicki and Drake were still for a moment, Kristin's words only just registering with their ears.

"Kristin-"

"No, Dave!" She cut her husband off immediately and got to her feet. "There is no way in Hell they're stayin' here. I hope you didn't unpack. Excuse me." She pushed between them all and marched through the hallway and up the stairs, slamming her door behind her. The silence rang out in their ears.

"Drake, I'm so-"

"It's fine, Harlan. It's nothin' you coulda helped." He nodded with his lips folded as Nicki grasped at his hand reassuringly. She looked so scared and it was stabbing at his heart with such a force, he had no idea what to do.

"Aubrey, what are we gonna do now?" Her soft voice entered his mind as she initiated a private conversation.

"We'll think of somethin', don't worry." He squeezed her hand and decided to open his mouth and remove the awkward silence that Harlan had been suspended in. "I guess, we'll go pack our things up and get outta your hair." He forced a disappointed smile and led Nicki out of the room behind him. But Harlan wasn't about to let Kristin rule the roost like this. Last time he checked, he had a say in what happened in this household too.

"Don't unpack anythin' yet. I'mma go talk to her but I can't make no promises, you understand?"

"It's okay. She obviously doesn't want us here, we understand that." Harlan was shocked that Nicki had opened her mouth to answer him, he hadn't heard her talk properly until now. He would have guessed she was a mute or something.

"It's our house. I have a say in what goes too lil' lady." He smiled and watched them share a look before heading back downstairs as he prepared to face his angry wife.

Reaching the end of the stairs, Drake turned to see Nicki sat in tears on the edge of the bed.

"Please don't cry, Nic." He sighed and crouched before her. "I hate seein' you like this."

"I'm so scared, Aubrey. Where are we supposed to go?" She wiped her eyes with one hand as he held her other.

"I'm not gon' let anythin' happen to you, either of you. Okay?"

"You can't keep that promise though."

"Not if you don't trust me." He paused, studying her distraught and teary face. "You trust me, don't you?"

She nodded. "Yeah."

"Good, then we'll be fine." He stood and kissed her head on the way up. "I'ont want you to worry 'bout anythin'. It's not good for you, or the baby."

"I know." She let her hands glide over her bump and rest gently on it. "I just wish things were different."

"Yeah, me too." He looked down, feeling bad. "I'mma start gettin' our stuff together, you wanna get some more sleep?"

"I think I might have to." She edged back and settled in the centre of the bed before laying down. He knew within seconds she'd be sleeping and he was right. The next time he turned around she was out like a spark. He smiled down at her before covering her up and continuing to collect all their stuff that he'd stupidly unpacked.

Upstairs the tension was rising and Harlan had just about had enough.

"Did you see her face, Kristin? She's pregnant for God's sakes and you're really about to have them thrown out on the street?"

"I am not havin' a pair of Vampires under my roof, Dave." She breathed out slowly and let her eyes connect with his. "They had better be gone by the time I get downstairs."

Thinking quickly he decided to take a different approach to this situation. He shrugged nonchalantly and shoved his hands into his pockets. "I said they can stay."

"And I'm tellin' you they are not staying here." Her nostrils flared as she spoke authoritatively.

"Well, you better go and tell them then." Not looking at her expression he started removing his watch and shoes, preparing for bed as she sat in shock.

"Excuse me?"

"You heard me, Kris. You want them gone, then you go tell them to leave." He disappeared back into the ensuite bathroom and heard her huffing before stomping her way out of the bedroom and down the stairs. He just hoped this idea would work.


As he gathered up their toiletries in the small bathroom they had, he could hear her whimpering in her sleep. He'd grown kind of accustomed to it now, having lay by her side all night and every night as she slept. But seeing her having to experience it every time she snoozed was beginning to take its toll on him. God only knows what it was doing to her. Quickly dropping the bag by the door frame he moved over to where she lay and tried to wake her up without shocking her. Every inch of her body was was dripping with sweat, her forehead decorated by her blond locks as they stuck to her clammy skin.

"Nic? Baby, wake up." He shook her gently. "Nicki." Sweeping the hair from her face he continued to say her name, hoping to bring her out of the nightmare. "Onika." He jumped slightly when she finally awoke with a gasp, her heart was beating fast as she tried to recover. "You're okay, c'mere." Her small body shook against him as he embraced her. "You were just dreamin'."

"But it feels so real every time." She cried into his chest.

"It was the same one again?" He heard her shudder before answering.

"It's always the same one."

His heart dropped, the same dream still haunting her. "It's just a dream, Nic. I promise you that ain't gon' happen."

"But I can't lose you, Aubrey. I don't know what I'd do if that happened. If I lose you, I lose everything." She sniffled, finally calming a little in his arms.

"I'm not goin' anywhere." He held her more firmly in attempt to re-ensure some sort of security. It worked. As soon as he tightened his hold on her he felt her breathing slow down gradually as her eyes grew heavier.

Stood in the stair doorway, Kristin had witnessed everything. She knew deep down that these people didn't have a bad bone in their bodies but her memories of Vampires were too painful to cover up. Having an internal fight with her heart and mind, she rolled her eyes angrily at herself and knocked lightly on the half open door.

"Can I come in?"

"Sure." He shifted slightly, Nicki still sleeping in his embrace. "I'm still tryna pack everythin' up, I just have-"

"It's fine." She cut him off, this time more sincerely.

"I'll get on with it as soon as she's calmed down. Then we'll be gone."

"No, I mean it's fine." She crossed her arms and sighed. "You can stay."

His face showed the evident confusion as he gently let Nicki out of his grasp, making his way over to where she stood. "You really mean that?"

"Yeah. But just until you've figured out what you're gonna do and where you're gonna go." She made sure to let him know she was still maintaining her feelings about this situation. "Stay as long as you need though."

He clasped his hands togther gratefully. "Thank you so much." The largest weight was lifted from his shoulders as she nodded in acknowledgement. She quickly changed the subject after seeing Nicki jolt a little in her sleep.

"Does that happen often?" She tilted her head in the direction of the bed, causing Drake to turn and look too. "The nightmares, I mean?"

"Every time she sleeps." He rubbed his head feeling helpless. "I don't know what else to do for her."

The worry and sadness in his voice pulled at yet another one of her heart strings. She could tell how much they loved one another. It was a kind of love she'd never seen before and that was the only thing  working in their favour. Had she not witnessed that scene moments ago she wouldn't have thought twice about barging straight in here and telling them to leave. But her heart was too kind.

"I'm sorry about how icy I came off earlier. It's just somethin' I feel extremely strongly about." She made eye contact, his eyes were enticing. "But I have my reasons though."

"Can I ask what those reasons are?"

She was still for a second. Her mind flashing through the terrible images stored in her memory, never to be forgotten.

"I lost my sister a couple years ago." She paused. "She was on her way over here when she was attacked and killed-"

"By a Vampire." He knowingly finished her sentence off, his voice sounded grim. "I'm so sorry to hear that." Noticing the grief was still very much present he touched her arm gently. She was nodding profusely, trying to prevent the tears from falling.

"Ever since then, I've had no tolerence for your kind."

"I understand that, but what made you change your mind about us?"

"I haven't changed my mind." She affirmed. "But I can see how kind you are. That, and you saved my son's life. I'm forever indebted to you for that. Thank you."

"Anyone in my position woulda done the same." He tried to shyly brush off his bravery. But she wasn't going to let him have the last word. Something he'd already learned about her strong personality.

"No, they wouldn't. If it wasn't for you, my son would be dead. I can only return the favour." She smiled weakly and took a step back. "Anyway, it's late so I'm gonna letchu get settled."

"Thanks, we'll see you in the mornin'." He half smiled and watched her leave before sitting quickly on the side of the bed. The relief he was feeling was unmatched.


As soon as she made it back to her room she opened the door to find Harlan sat upright, readin. He'd obviously been waiting.

"I hate you."

"What I do now?" He smirked when her back was turned. He knew she wouldn't be able to carry through with it. She was a softy at heart.

"You set that up, you knew I wouldn't be able to do it."

"Well, you seemed pretty serious. For a minute there I didn't think you had a heart."

"I swear to you, Dave." Looking him in the eye as she climbed under the covers she pointed at him sternly. "If they put one toe outta line, they're gone. And if I think at any point my family is in danger, I will show no hesitation in calling the police."

"They're good people, Kristin."

"Well, let's just hope your judgement skills are on point." Trying to stay angry at him she snatched the quilt over herself and lay on her side, facing away from him. His little plan was a success. "And you can wipe that stupid grin off of your face right now, before I do it for you."

"Night, Kristin."

***

The next morning felt like a breath of fresh air for Drake. His mind finally felt more at ease knowing that they had somewhere safe to stay for as long as they needed. After dealing with his morning rituals he headed up the stairs, careful not to wake Nicki. Harlan was the only one home, sat at the table as he scoffed a cooked breakfast.

"Nobody's gon' steal it, Harlan." He laughed a little before sitting down.

"I'm starved, I ain't think Kris was gonna cook me anythin' after last night." Continuing to eat he looked up a Drake.

"I can't thank you enough for everythin' you've done for us."

"I thought we already talked 'bout this. I owed you, now we're even. Let's leave it at that." He finished up his breakfast and lay the cutlery on the plate. "Coffee?"

"Thanks." Remaining seated he waited patiently for Harlan to sit down again with two cups of coffee.

"I didn't know you guys could drink and stuff."

Drake couldn't help but laugh. "You watch too many movies. Of course we drink."

"Blood?"

"Well, it's a main energy source. Yeah."

"Word? So y'all actually drink blood?" His face was a picture right now.

"Not human blood, don't worry."

"Good, you was beginnin' to scare me there." He chuckled nervously and sipped his drink. "Nicki's not comin' up?"

"Nah, she's sleepin'. I'ont wanna wake her, she's so exhausted."

"Maybe havin' somewhere solid to stay'll help her stop stressin'. Ease up the nightmares a bit." He nodded matter of factly as Drake's face frowned a little.

"Kristin told you 'bout her nightmares?"

"Yeah, she discreetly left this out this mornin'." Standing up he moved over to the counter and picked up a small book. "After Kris lost her sister, she had the worst time tryna sleep 'cause of the dreams she'd have. This helped the most outta anythin' we tried."

"Thanks." Drake took the book from his hands and studied the front intently as he read. Then something else entered his mind. "Wait, you said Kristin left this out?"

"Yeah." He smirked. "Not as mean as she makes out, huh? She must've searched high and low for that thing, last time I seen it was up in the loft a few months ago."

"Yeah, she told me what happened to her sister. I can't imagine how hard that musta been for her."

"It was tough on everyone but Kristin hit rock bottom. She was pregnant at the time, almost lost Jackson."

"But everythin's okay now, right?"

"Yeah, I mean we all miss her but we're okay. And Jackson's fine, he was just arrived a lil' early."

"Where is Jackson?" He suddenly realised he hadn't even seen the boy yet.

"I gotta go pick him up from my Mom's in about an hour, so prepare yourself to be bombarded with questions from a five year old." He laughed and finished the last of what was in his cup.

"We're cool with that, but thanks for the warnin'." Mimicking his laugh Drake stood up slowly. "I'mma go check on Nic. Is it alright if we use your bathroom later?"

"Make yourself at home, there's no lock on the door though. Jackson kept gettin' locked in."

"Thanks, I'll keep that in mind."

After clearing both of their cups away he made his way back downstairs to see Nicki. This time she was awake.

"Morning, sleepyhead." He climbed on to the bed next to her and kissed her head as she stretched and yawned. "You sleep okay?"

"I guess. Well, better than usual anyway." Quickly sitting up she squinted at the clock on her nightstand. "Shit, Drake. When are supposed to leave?"

"Whenever we want to."

"What?" She turned to face him slowly. Her eyes still looked tired as she tried to read his facial expression and tone of voice.

"Last night after you fell asleep Kristin came down to talk to us. She said we could stay."

"Please tell me you're not jokin' around?"

"All truth, babe."

"Oh my God." She sighed loudly with relief. "Why'd she change her mind?"

"I don't really know. But I'm not gonna question it. So, we'll be fine here 'til we decide what to do next." He kissed her head again and smiled when he felt her relax into his side. "You wanna go take a shower?"

"I've been desperate to shower for the longest time." She laughed lazily into his shirt. "Do they have a bath?"

"I'ont know, we have a toilet and sink in here but we have to use their bathroom to shower and stuff."

"Will they mind?" She glanced up at him.

"Harlan already gave me the all clear." He smiled. "He gave me this too." Holding the book up he let her take it from him.

"What is it?"

"I bunch of things we can do to stop you havin' that nightmare."

"Aubrey, you told them?" She looked upset.

"No, you was havin' one when Kristin came down last night. She went and found the book for you."

"So she's not as horrible as she makes out then?"

He laughed. "No, just a lil' scarred."

"Scarred?" Her face contorted curiously as she stared up at him.

"Her sister was killed by a Vampire."

"Oh."

"Yeah. Kinda makes sense now, right?"

"Mhm, that's horrible."

There was a long silence as they both thought about the last couple of days. Now they were finally able to eat, sleep and shower in a safe place.

"Anyway, let's go get cleaned up. We stink."

Hearing her laugh for the first time in ages made him smile. He just hoped this would take away some of the stress and angst she was feeling, there was no way that could be any good for her or the baby.

***

"There's no lock?" She stood staring at the closed door as Drake filled the tub.

"No, Harlan said Jackson kept lockin' himself in. It'll be fine."

"What if someone walks in on us?"

"Then I guess they'll see us in all glory." He laughed as she deadened her face.

"I'ont know what you're braggin' about, sir."

"Don't lie, Onika." Her small smirk made him smile. "You love it when I'm naked."

"Shut up, Aubrey." She laughed and shook her head, leaning against the sink weakly. "Is it ready yet?"

"Nearly, you want bubbles?"

"I don't care, as long as I can sit and scrub this layer of grime off of me."

"A'ight." He turned the tap off. "It's ready then. "He pulled his underwear down and stepped out of them. "I'mma rinse off in the shower first, lemme help you in now." Moving closer he watched her shrug out of the towel she'd wrapped herself in. He hadn't even prepared himself for what he was about to see. The reality of how they were living only just hit him when he saw her neglected body. The pressure wounds clearly visible along with her frail and slightly bony frame.

...



6 comments:

  1. Omg ao that's why harlan's wife didn't like vamps that's so sad ;( thank god she's letting them stay though they really need it. Wow so nic constantly has these nightmares, that was so nice of kirsten to leave that book for nic i hope it helps. It's so sad to see the impact all of this is taking on both of them especially nic.

    Love this story charlee, update soon ^.^

    ReplyDelete
  2. YAAAAAAAY for Kristin changing her mind. Thank goodness. & How sweet of her to go looking for that book fir Nicki.<3 I understand now why she was so against them staying there at the beginning cuz what happened to her sister was awful, but I'm glad she sees you can't blame all for what one did. They're good people...err...vampires* ;)

    That little bathroom scene.> lol "idk what you're bragging about" I died. LMFAO. & omg @ the marks on her body. D:

    ReplyDelete
  3. omg one of your best stories and i dont really like dricki fics. there situation is so sad knowing how good of people they are. but im glad they have somewhere to stay for now. hope you post soon cause i cant wait to see where they go from here.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow. So thats why she was so damn harsh to them at first. Im really happy that she let them stay tho. They need it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. So glad Kristin captured that moment & decided to let them stay. I really thought she was going to put them out. LOL @ Harlan eating like that. & that was nice of Kristin to leave that for Nic, hopefully it works. Great chapter :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. So are you done with this story orrrrr

    ReplyDelete